Shirley Frimpong Biography
At the 6th Africa Movie Academy Awards, she was named Best Director. Shirley Frimpong Manso is also the founder of Sparrow Station, a video streaming service for African entertainment produced by Sparrow and other African film producers.
According to E.tv Ghana, she was ranked the 48th most influential person in Ghana in 2013.
Shirley Frimpong Manso is described as someone who “seeks to raise the standard of film production in Ghana and Africa by telling progressive African stories as seen through Africans’ eyes.” Changing the way Ghana was portrayed was also a driving factor in her career choice.
|Real Name:||Shirley Frimpong Manso|
|Date of Birth||March 16, 1977|
|Place of Birth:||Kwahu East District|
|Occupation:||Film Director, Writer and Producer|
|Net Worth||$7 million|
Early Life, Childhood and Education
Shirley Frimpong was born in the Kwahu East District on March 16, 1977. She is 45 years old, based on her birth year.
Frimpong-Manso is from Kwahu Pepease in Ghana’s Eastern Region. She used to organize plays as a child, which “felt a lot more fun than playing with sand and dolls.”
Considering her passion for play/drama of which she had enjoyed doing right from childhood, Shirley enrolled and graduated in 2000 from Ghana’s National Film and Television Institute, also known as NAFTI, and worked as a presenter at Radio Gold, a private station in Accra, before launching Sparrow Productions in 2003.
Shirley has started her career as a presenter at Radio Gold, a private station in Accra, before launching Sparrow Productions in 2003. So far, she has produced so many films and has been outstanding at it.
With the help of producer and actress Juliet Asante, Frimpong Manso helped produce the TV show, Heart to Heart for two years shortly after school. She has also produced:
- Different Shades of Blue – a television series about five university girls who share a dormitory in a university hostel.
- Personalities Kitchen – a cooking program that hosts two personalities and challenges them to a rice meal of their choice.
- The Miss Ghana Pageant – she produced two semifinalists at the Miss World event within five years during her time.
Her films are also known for their “fierce female leads,” in which she portrays African women with agency who can work as breadwinners and live complex lives. Her film ‘Potato Potahto’ debuted on Netflix in December 2019.
Shirley Frimpong-Manso Movies
- Us In Between.
- The Perfect Picture: Ten Years Later.
- Potato Potahto.
- Grey Dawn.
- Love or Something Like That.
- Devil in the Detail.
Shirley Frimpong Manso at a point took over the Ghana Movies industry with the scenes of her amazing movies. Due to that, Frimpong-Manso became one of the best movie directors in the industry landing many awards like:
- 6th Africa Movie Academy Awards – Best Director of the Year
- 6th Africa Movie Academy Awards – A Sting in a Tale won the Best Soundtrack award
- 18th Annual Pan African Film & Arts Festival – A Sting In A Tale took home the award for Audience Favorite-Narrative Feature
- 2014 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA) – Best Video Editor and Best Movie Director
- Also awarded Film Director of the Year in the Citi TV Entertainment Achievement Awards In March 2021.
Shirley Frimpong Manso is married to Ken Attoh, her business partner and also husband. The couple has a son together. Their son was born in April, 2010. He is currently 12 years old now.